east-tec InvisibleSecrets offers a new function: the creation of Self Decrypting Packages (SFD). Using this function you can create an executable package with encrypted content. Also, before the actual encryption, the files are compressed. After the package is created, you can send it by email. All the receiver needs in order to decrypt the package, is the correct password (no need of special programs to decrypt it).
To create a SFD Package you need to follow these steps:
- Select the action: Self Decrypting Packages.
- Choose the files to include in the encrypted package.
- Add a message to your package. You can add a message to the SFD Package; this message will be shown after the receiver decrypts the package. This message is useful because you can transmit instructions, read-me files, or other comments to the receiver of the package.You have several possibilities to format the message: font, size, color etc.
- Select your Options: also, you have to provide a password for the encryption. This password must be communicated to the receiver in order to decrypt the package. You can click the Passwords button to select one from a Password List.
Warning: If you forget this password you will not be able to decrypt the package!
If you don’t want to send the package by email but save it locally, you will also have to specify a location where you want the package to be saved. You also have the option to:
- send the package by email after the package is created.
- shred the original files when done (after the package is created).
- Click Next to start the process.
When somebody wants to open a SFD Package he/she has to double-click the package file. The password used for encryption is needed in order to decrypt the content.