The index.dat files are repositories of information such as web addresses, files you have recently opened and search queries. Their purpose is to allow Internet Explorer quick access to some data, such as Autocomplete matches as the user types an Internet address. Also, the index.dat files are always open while Windows is running, so deleting these files requires some special procedures, such as wiping them before loading Windows.
To wipe index.dat files, please follow the steps below:
- Open east-tec Eraser
- In the left side panel, click Privacy Guard
- Click Advanced
- Click Next
- From the Tab Activation section in the left lower part of the window, check Browsers and uncheck all other tabs (or leave them checked if you want to erase other areas)
- Make sure Internet Explorer is checked
- Highlight Internet Explorer the list and click Properties
- Make sure at least these options are checked: “Eliminate the Internet Explorer History”, “Eliminate the Internet Explorer Cookies”, “Eliminate the Temporary Internet Files”, “Clear list of typed URLs”, “Clear AutoComplete”
- Click OK
- Click Next
- Click Start
- At the end of the wiping process, you will be asked to restart the computer. This is required to complete the process.